HOW TO GET MOTIVATED WHEN YOU WANT TO STAY IN BED

How to get motivated when you want to stay in bed

My top tips on how to get yourself motivated when all you want to do is stay in bed. (Story of my life!)

I have these days practically every day, I struggle to find the willpower and self motivation to do anything. Sometimes even just getting out of my pyjamas and getting dressed seems like a mammoth task. I only work late afternoons/evenings now so never feel like doing anything in the daytime.

Here are my top tips on getting yourself motivated when you really don’t want to do anything:

Small steps to start. If your in a really bad slump sometimes to go off dashing around can

put you back to square one quite quickly. Take small steady steps to getting yourself up and ready for the day. Yes the process will take longer but it will help you to keep motivated in the long run.

Have a single goal. Don’t give yourself a list of 101 things you want to get done that day because you will just stress yourself out. Have one goal in mind that you really want to do that day and then build this up over time. My single goal tomorrow will be to list 10 items onto Ebay.

Reward yourself. Give yourself a small reward or treat if you successfully complete the goal you set yourself that day. My favourite is a bag of dairy milk buttons or a cheeky new nail varnish to add to my collection.

Make it exciting. To be motivated you need to be excited about what you are going to do. So for me if I list my 10 items on Ebay tomorrow the prospect of making some money from it gets me excited and I think about the things I can buy with the money I will have made.

Ask for help. If you are really struggling to get motivated ask someone else for help with it. For example, My boyfriend leaves me notes with different motivational quotes to make me want to achieve something that day.

Make it public. Facebook, Tweet or Blog about what your goals are for the next day. Nobody likes failing so by making it a public announcement you are more likely to get done what goals you have set yourself.

Gradually build it. Once you’ve accomplished a week of single goals start building it up so that you have two goals a day to achieve. Eventually you will be doing a full day of tasks without even realising it.

Don’t give up.  The road to self motivation may be a long one but never give up. Push yourself to your limit and don’t admit defeat. You can do it and you will get there.

What is the one thing that helps you get motivated? How do you stay focused and on track?

Instagram | Bloglovin’ | Twitter

Share:

10 Comments

1. November 24, 2014 / 6:49 pm

Great tips 🙂 I especially like your point about rewarding yourself- that's so important! This post follows on nicely to my post about how to actually get yourself motivated to physically get out of bed in the morning!
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

2. November 24, 2014 / 7:34 pm

Needed this post, although I have to say it's definitely a lot harder to have the get out of bed motivation in the winter, IT'S JUST SO COLD! 🙁 x

3. November 24, 2014 / 8:06 pm

This is something I really struggle with too. I have found that breaking things down into the smallest possible stages and completely focusing on one step at a time is really helpful, especially when it's a difficult task. Also, planning ahead of time and doing as much preparation as possible is very useful.
    For example, I recently started running in the mornings (this is a massive achievement for me cause I'm a real fat bastard and have never been for a run in my life). To make it as easy as possible, I lay out all my clothes the night before, fill up my water bottle and put it with my trainers, headphones and keys next to the front door, then in the morning I just focus on putting my clothes on and leaving the house; once I'm outside, I can just concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other.
    Likewise, I always make my breakfast the night before (oats, fruit, nuts and milk – cling film over the top and leave it in the fridge) because it makes getting out of bed just a tiny bit easier.
    Tess x

4. November 24, 2014 / 8:30 pm

1, 3 and 7 are super important in my opinion!

5. November 25, 2014 / 12:18 am

Thanks for these tips! I've been feeling quite unmotivated lately. They're all such important steps! X

Angela | The Sunday Chapter

6. November 25, 2014 / 11:57 am

I find that just getting up as quickly as possible and getting on with things is the best way. Like working out, if I lay in bed and think about it too much, I want to do it less and less. If I get a coffee, switch on my computer and sit down before a run, it's much harder for me to get motivated. Best way is to just get on with it, then it can be over and I can enjoy the rest of the day knowing I've accomplished my fitness goals 🙂

Corinne x

7. November 25, 2014 / 5:30 pm

This is such a good post!! Really fab tips! I always make myself little lists and get disappointed if i haven't ticked them off by the end of the day so it makes me do them! xx

Abi | abistreetx.blogspot.co.uk